[MPlayer-users] mplayer says that my computer is too slow

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jun 16 04:31:41 CEST 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:16:42 +0200
Karol <troloo at zamoyski.edu.pl> wrote:

> Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
> - Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
>    - Try -ao sdl or use ALSA 0.5 or the OSS emulation of ALSA 0.9.
>    - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good
>    start.

> - Broken file
>    - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
> - Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
>    - Try -cache 8192.

> If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.
>

> The problem is that top show 10% CPU usage and about 2.1% of memory

Okay, so it's not a CPU limitation, but have you tried the other things
it TELLS YOU TO DO?  -ao sdl?  -autosync?  -cache?  I know you didn't
follow the last suggestion and read bugreports.html, or you'd be
providing proper information.

Personally, I'd be give odds that you didn't run 'hdparm' on the
harddrive you're playing from, and it's not fast enough to keep up
without DMA enabled...