[MPlayer-users] Why I can't config Audio drivers (alsa1x & esd) in "Preferences"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 17 13:18:06 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 01:10:08AM -0700, rcooley wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:59:18 -0400
> The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> As a matter of fact, there are several different companies going by the
> name Athalon, so a quick search turns up many more.
> http://www.athalonskyvalet.com/Athalon_Home/athalon_home.html
>
> > ...Bweh? How is it in conflict? To the extent to which English *has*
> > any"typical rules", it seems perfectly well in line to me.
>
> Well, for one thing, Athlon looks and sounds similar enough to other
> words like Marathon, Halon, et al., that a natural connection is made,
> and people quickly forget the slight difference.

WTF does Halon have to do with Athlon? No native speaker would
associate these words at all...

> The rules aren't set in stone, but they do apply to a good 99.9% of
> words, at least.  For instance, either the first or second letter in any
> word is almost always a noun.

Huh? A noun is not a type of letter...

> One of the rules violated here is that there are usually about 1 vowels
> to 2 consonants, and cases where there are _more than_ 2 consonants
> together ("thl" in Athlon) are rather uncommon.

Hardly. Aside from spelling it's only two consonants ("th" and "l")
and in fact "triple" consonants are very common in english when one of
them is written as two letters. Obvious examples are "school" and
"catch".

> So it's natural to want
> to insert another vowel in the word.

Not natural for a native speaker.