[MPlayer-users] Crash in -dumpstream'ed RM files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 05:07:21 CEST 2004

I have a pair of RM files, acquired over RTSP via -dumpstream, which
cause MPlayer to segfault. The crashes, at a brief glance, appear to be
quite different, but may have the same root cause.

(There were brief error messages, along the lines of "unknown
such-and-such", during -dumpstream, but it nonetheless completed
successfully - in at least one case, continuing to dump for far longer
than playback takes to reach the crash point. I know "such-and-such"
isn't a very helpful description; I tried to repeat the dump to find the
exact error, but the error report did not recur although the resulting
file did still crash.)

The three attached files contain, in order: my system information
(little changed from my last report), the GDB information from the first
crashing file, and the GDB information from the second crashing file.

The files are quite small; if necessary, I can easily upload them, or
simply provide the source URLs (if I don't somehow lose those in the
meantime...). The unedited log files are quite large, totaling close to
640K; in the unlikely event that the parts I snipped out would prove
useful, I can upload those as well.

One bothersome note about the first crash: I was playing the video in
fullscreen at the time, and when MPlayer crashed the video window did
not close; when I killed MPlayer from a console (which required -9), my
mouse pointer was not released. When I played the video in full screen
again and quit before reaching the crash point, the pointer was freed.
This may be an unavoidable side effect of the kill, but such a hang of
itself seems disturbing to me.

I mostly expected the same result from the second crash, but it did not
take place.