[MPlayer-users] Sample format big endian AC3 not yet supported

Renaud Desarzens rde_lists at desarzens.ch
Sun Jun 20 10:06:17 CEST 2004

 I'm having exact the same problem here! But disabling/enabling whatever
slider (using alsamixer) didn't change anything. What soundcard are you
usig? Mine's a intel8x0 (nforce2 onboard). Even tried the nvaudio module
from nvidias nforce driver 1.0-0274 and a terratec aureon fun 5.1 I had
laying aroung using alsas cmipci module... all to no avail, as soon as I try
using the -ac hwac3, option it's using the spdif optical out and my
AV-receiver tells me it is receiving DOLBY DIGITAL [3/2] but I get no sound
(when playing DVD)! Mplayer outputs this "Sample format big endian AC3 not
yet supported". Seems like there's something wrong with mplayer?

Playing normal PCM stereo works well through spdif optical out. My
AV-receiver gets and decodes it as PCM 48khz and I have sound.

Googled around and searched the mplayer, alsa and mythtv archives but found
nothing that helped.

Most promising threads I found was:

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg13602.html

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/55133?search_string=%2Bnf
orce%20%2Bspdif;#55133

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-April/039304.html

I'm out of ideas. Would really appreciate if anyone finds a way how to get
AC3 passthrough working flawlessly. I'm using mplayer-1.0pre4, alsa-1.0.5a
on kernel 2.4.25. My mobo is a Gigabyte K7 Triton 7N400 Pro with nforce2
chipset (SPP / MCP-T).

Renaud