[MPlayer-users] problem running mplayer for real and wmv formats

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Jun 28 05:29:59 CEST 2004

Pavan Kumar Mankala wrote:
> i am new for linux..

I can tell (see just below).

> when i am playing a real media(.rm) file or a .wmv file it's giving me
> this output
> [root at lotus E-Drive]# mplayer Subhaleka.rm

Don't run mplayer as root. It's a bad idea. In fact, you should avoid
doing anything as root unless absulutely necessary. When you need to be
root, use 'su', do what you need to do, then logout back to being your
regular user. If you always run as root, sooner or later you're going to
accidentally do something you shouldn't have done or run some software
you shouldn't have run.

> MPlayer 1.0pre4-3.3.2 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

Good to see you're using a recent version...

> i  use fedora.

I think this is covered in the faq:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/faq.html#id2894446

If that doesn't solve it for you, read the bug-reporting guidelines:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html

-Corey