[MPlayer-users] VIA CLE266 MPEG2 decoding

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Tue Jun 29 15:34:56 CEST 2004

>> Is this possible on a 2.6 kernel? if so is there a howto? I can only
>> find 2.4 stuff.
>
> Good question. Are you referring to this:
>
> http://www.ivor.it/cle266/
>
> Maybe Ivor Hewitt would be the person to ask (I've cc'd him).

Dermont,

I didn't see the original question but from your answers I'll guess what it was!

Yes it is possible to get the cle266 hardware decoding working on 2.6 with no
major problems.

1) You'll want the v4l drivers for 2.6. I think the "gryle" patch was the most
recent one of my patches converted to 2.6 but I haven't done any cle266 stuff
for ages so I'm not sure.

2) You'll want the code from unichrome.sf.net for the X drivers (which work
with Xorg just fine). You need these - the standard X via driver sources were
missing the ddmpeg patches.

3) Then you'll want the userspace libddmpeg if you're using Mythtv or VeXP
(which does indeed suck).

4) However... I'm not aware of anyone writing an mplayer driver for libddmpeg.
I recall there were a couple of attempts but havent heard of any more
recently.

But... the latest versions of the unichrome driver have the extended  xvmc
api, courtesy of Thomas Hellström which removes the need for libddmpeg. This
is the way to go for future software for the unichrome chipset. Theres a
sample decoder implementation on unichrome.sf.net.

> I am also interested in seeing this work and willing to
> contribute code to make that happen. Anybody else interested
> in seeing this and willing to collaborate?

The sample xvmc decoder from unichrome is a good place to start.
The mythtv code is a good place to see a decent implementation of a libddmpeg
decoder.
Don't bother looking at the VeXP code.

Cheers,
Ivor.

(and yes I know my page is out of date with all that information, but I
haven't had time to touch it for ages :-( )

--
http://ivor.org - leylandii hedge -- http://ivor.it - technology

SquirrelMail - webmail for nuts.