[MPlayer-users] Cache limit...

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jun 30 04:52:07 CEST 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:43:30 +0100
Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> The *right* way to do this is to make use of the fact linux will
> buffer filesystem data in RAM.

Not just Linux...  FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, Solaris, and
absolutely any other OS MPlayer runs on.  That solution wouldn't allow
you to remove the cache function from MPlayer anyhow, since MPlayer's
cache is still needed for caching streaming video, and whatever else.

> you need to {work out how | write a tool to} to
> get the data buffered I guess,

Or I can just trivially change one line in MPlayer to get exactly what I
need.  It works quite well, even if it doesn't match your ideal of the
perfect way to do things.  If you want to write the code to do it the
right way, be my guest.  Otherwise, you can get off your soapbox.

> it'd also allow you to lock other data into RAM that might cause your
> HDD to spin up during playback.

Only speaking for myself, there is nothing else spinning up the drives
but the videos I'm playing.  The few things I'm doing in the background
(eg GAIM) don't touch the disk.