[MPlayer-users] cvs breaks liba52, indicative of a needed project policy change

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 08:26:38 CEST 2004

--- Sascha Sommer <saschasommer at freenet.de> wrote:

> The cvs of mplayer is meant to be stable and I never
> had problems with it.
> If something is broken then only for a few hours.
> And if you notice things
> went broken within a few days it is definitly a lot
> easier to fix them as if
> you only have the diff between to releases, that is
> usually quite big.
> Moreover the releases are nothing more than cvs
> snapshots from a specfic day.

Actually, the problem wasn't that cvs broke liba52.
the problem turned out to be that "make clean" doesn't
work as expected.  it leaves objects in the
subdirectories.  changing the ./configure options
between builds then confused the blasted thing.

I'm still very paranoid of cvs releases in general
since open-source projects often play by somewhat
nonconforming development rules/models.  But your
reassurance helps.

Please either make "make clean" do a real clean or
document the correct make target in the README file to
get rid of all objects and compiled libraries.  This
was the real culprit.

> > I separately compile and install ffmpeg first,
> > enabling gpl code and creating dynamic loaded
> > libraries ...mplayer needs to better make use of
> > pre-installed versions of ffmpeg instead of
> > recompiling the libavcodecs when the so already
> > exists.  same goes for liba52.  why include a
> liba52
> > directory if the user already has installed
> liba52.so
> > from a different source?
> >

> That is currently not possible. One problem is
> performance,
> don't remember the others right now, but your
> problem
> should be gone when you compile mplayer with static
> ffmpeg and liba52.

Well, not what I wanted to hear.  I don't like code
bloat when dynamic libraries already exist, but I'll
take what I can get...and I'll accept your performance
argument for now.

> Hope this helps...

Yes, thanks. :^)