[MPlayer-users] mplayer sound over ssh ?

Eric Estabrooks eric at urbanrage.com
Wed Jun 30 16:30:28 CEST 2004

>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:00:59 +0200
>> Javier Sanchez Monzon <tino at stw-bonn.de> wrote:
>>

>>> I have at home my mplayer programm.  I connect via ssh to my home, and
>>> then start mplayer.  I only can see the video but no sound.

Just a thought, but you could use jack for the sound it has ip streaming
(artsd and esd probably do as well).  I just use netcat when I need to
stream a file quick.

On side with the file

cat filename.avi | nc client_hostname_or_ip port    (like  cat
the_dead_zone_0304.avi | nc kangaroo 7000 )

On client side

nc -l p 7000 | mplayer -

also works great for streaming capture devices  cat /dev/video0 | nc .....

Eric