[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer sound over ssh ?

Tobias Diedrich ranma at tdiedrich.de
Wed Jun 30 18:00:12 CEST 2004

Michel Bardiaux wrote:

> I'm interested. How exactly do you do it? Specifically, do you know a
> way to do it to a Win32 machine? (I mean I would like my X-server, which
> is cygwin-xfree under W2k, to have sound too, possibly using SDL or ARTS
> on the client side)

You can use NAS (Network Audio System, http://radscan.com/nas.html) to
play audio on remote systems.  NAS Clients usually use the AUDIOSERVER
and DISPLAY environment variables to figure out where to send the
audiostream to.  However NAS is quite old and AFAIK the protocol has
no way of querying the server side buffer size and delay, but it
supports X-Style extensions (It is based on the X11 protocol), although
I think noone has designed any extensions so far.
The audiostream is sent uncompressed, so it is only suitable for LAN
connections.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, but