[MPlayer-users] reencoding avis

Mon Mar 1 09:10:11 CET 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, anton wrote:

a>Hey,
a>I can't seem to find out how to do this... I have some .avi files that
a>my digital camera spits out. I want to reduce the size of them so they
a>can be put on my website for family and friends ( and no, sorry, no
a>spice there!). The audio is at 88kbps (in mp3) at the moment and I
a>reckon I should be able to get it down to 48 or so. How do I do this? I
a>thought I might be able to use lame and just redo it, but evidently not.

Why not?

mencoder input.avi -o output.avi -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=48

It's not the best solution, but improve it yourself... But do you
understand that the file will be only 300k smaller for each minute?

a>Should I try and put it to ac3 with the lavc audio and then redo it back
a>into mp3 with lame?
a>Any ideas welcome.
a>Cheers
a>
a>Anton
a>ps video is no probs, just audio...

You'd better reconsider this... And read more docs, they are good.

--

Vladimir