[MPlayer-users] Not Fast Enough to play file

hdp at webmail.co.za hdp at webmail.co.za
Tue Mar 2 07:55:22 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 06:50, Dave Sorg wrote:
> I'm trying to play a DivX video from my OpenBSD encrypted partition. I get
> the audio, but it says my system is not fast enough to play video. It is a
> 750 MHZ system. It creates a huge amount of .png files (images of all
> frames?). Is it possible to watch the movie without making these .png files?

You'll have to give us a bit more info.  How much ram?  What sort of
graphics card?  Do you have hardware acceleration of sorts going?  All
these things play a role.

To give you an example, I had two machines - one a celeron 400 with 16mb
TNT2 and 256mb RAM.  The other a P-III with 512mb ram, but SiS onboard
graphics.  The P-III was *just* strong enough to handle .avi files of
about 700kbps.  The Celeron could play anything except dvds.  The
difference is that the celeron had hardware accelerated graphics, while
the graphics on the P-III really sucked.

See what vo device mplayer reports using.  Try mplayer -vo xv and see if
that works.  Try mplayer -vo x11 if it doesn't.

Hans