[MPlayer-users] segfault on Alpha in libmpdemux/demux_mov.c

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 3 02:19:20 CET 2004

Quoting Andrew A. Gill (superluser at frontiernet.net):
> More info.  at the line directly above this one,
> 	trak->chunks = 0
> 	sizeof(mov_chunk_t) = 24
> 	len =  368
>
> Now, I'm not entirely sure, but isn't the first argument of
> realloc() supposed to be a pointer?  And isn't 0 not in
> userspace?

realloc(0, size) is the same as malloc(size) in most malloc() implementations.
In my experience, this simplifies code that uses realloc() in most cases.

The manpage notes:

Crashes  in  malloc(), free() or realloc() are almost always related to
heap corruption, such as overflowing an allocated chunk or freeing  the
same pointer twice.

It also mentions an environment variable, MALLOC_CHECK_, which will supposedly
detect such problems.

Adam

--
Adam Rice -- adamrice at ntlworld.com -- Blackburn, Lancashire, England