[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer Skin folder -- Where and Why?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 01:17:09 CET 2004

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> Benjamin Sher wrote:
>
>> Thanks so very much for your help. I deleted all of my old mplayer
>> files, and downloaded all new source tarballs from Mplayer
>> (mplayerhq.com). Will try to install from scratch. Will report to
>> the list tomorrow.
>
> *sigh* Reinstalling from scratch is a typical "Windows" solution... I
> never ever had to reinstall my Linux system from scratch to solve a
> problem, which is one of really nice things about Linux.

I've had to do it twice that I recall... I forget what caused the
problem the second time, but the first was because I had a bad RAM chip
and corrupted data from memory was being written back to the drive -
eventually it wouldn't boot anymore; I had to reformat my root partition
and reinstall, using a different chip. (Wow - ellipsis, comma, hyphen
and semicolon pauses, all in the same sentence!)

But since he only mentioned reinstalling MPlayer from scratch, not his
complete Linux setup, I'm not sure this is entirely relevant.

--
       The Wanderer