[MPlayer-users] Misdescribed option in configure --help

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 05:13:26 CET 2004

The configure --help line about XvMC reads:

==
--with-xvmclib=PATH      path to adapter specific XvMCxxxxx.so (e.g. NVIDIA)
==

I tried specifying this, and it kept failing in configure with a
file-not-found error from ld on whatever path I specified. Furthermore,
in configure.log, gcc was being passed the '-lPATH' option, which is
usually used to specify an explicit library name. On a hunch, I tried:

==
--with-xvmclib=XvMCNVIDIA
==

(since the library in question contains both a file named
libXvMCNVIDIA.a and one named libXvMCNVIDIA.so), and it worked.

As things currently stand, what the --with-xvmclib option needs is the
same thing one would pass to gcc with the -l option if linking in the
XvMC library. Either this needs to be changed, or the description in
configure --help needs to be corrected. I don't know which one would be
appropriate, and have little idea of how to do the latter concisely
enough to fit, or I'd have sent a patch myself.

--
       The Wanderer