[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer Skin folder -- Where and Why?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 05:20:38 CET 2004

For some reason my mail filter thought this message was spam. I'm not
sure why. ('fsck', maybe?)

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I've had to do it twice that I recall... I forget what caused the
>> problem the second time, but the first was because I had a bad RAM
>> chip and corrupted data from memory was being written back to the
>> drive - eventually it wouldn't boot anymore; I had to reformat my
>> root partition and reinstall, using a different chip. (Wow -
>> ellipsis, comma, hyphen and semicolon pauses, all in the same
>> sentence!)
>
> Heh.  Once the root block the ext2 fs of my server got corrupted
> including the backup root blocks and I had to get it working again
> using a hex editor.  :-) After the fsck not too much was lost AFAIR.

I wasn't technically competent enough for that at the time. (I'm not
sure I am now, either.) It doesn't help too much if you can't get the
drive into an accessible condition, either...

>> But since he only mentioned reinstalling MPlayer from scratch, not
>> his complete Linux setup, I'm not sure this is entirely relevant.
>
> Ok, I should have wrote - wrote or written? AFAIR it's write wrote
> wrote, isn't it? - Linux or any single Package.

I don't know the general rules, but in this context you want "written".

And - when you 'make distclean', 'cvs update', and recompile, aren't you
essentially reinstalling the program from scratch anyway[1]? Certainly
removing the source tree, checking it out again and.compiling that
qualifies, and I've had that recommended to me at least once on this
very list.

[1] At least in theory. 'make distclean' doesn't always appear to clear
the "cache" in which various configuration results were cached; I
haven't been able to figure out where that information is being stored,
either.

--
       The Wanderer