[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: Re: Chroma interpolation

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Thu Mar 4 09:55:15 CET 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 02:29:38AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> I never understood wtf the HAL module was useful for. I've certainly
> never touched it and everything works great.

except if you want to use the thing which cost most of the cards silicon
- the 3d engine.
If you use the 3d engine (my kids surely wanted to on their box) then
the system has exactly the same problems as NVidias: switching to
virtual console hangs it some times hard.

> > well, the only thing that is good on matrox cards on todays standards
> > ist the analogue signal quality. Too bad that decent displays have DVI ;-)
> > My experience with the matrox drivers regarding stability are not better
> > than the oh-so-bad, but at least actively maintained NVidias.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to elaborate rather than mindlessly praising
> nvidia.

I'm not praising nvidia, don't get this wrong, i'm just saying: matrox
is not better these days. I wonder, if one of the modern cards (newer
than ancient G450) is really supported by todays open source mga drivers.
I havent tried. Maybe they were once "good guys", but this was ages ago.
How often do you see updates for linux on the matrox website?
How often do you get a updated, bug-fixed nvidia driver?

Yes, you can tell me "matrox has nothing to fix in their drivers, but
nvidia has", but that is the same as microsoft telling us windows
is more secure because there are much more security fixes for linux
announced by RedHat/SuSE/debian. This is just FUD.

I don't like nvidia not giving out specs, but if i have to choose
between 2 heaps of shit, i'll take the smaller and cheaper one.

The nvidia card (TNT2) which is now in the box of my kids at least lets
them play needforspeed on win and everything else on linux without giving
trouble.

--
Stefan Seyfried