[MPlayer-users] concatenate mpegs

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Thu Mar 4 11:41:23 CET 2004

pepo wrote:

> Hi friends...
>
>   How do I concatenate mpegs files, I try with "cat files*.mpeg >
> result.mpeg" but this give me breakpoints and I wanna just one big file
> without breakpoints, other problem was the sound because I lost the
> little spaces without sound, and the result is an audio that didn't
> match with the video
>
> thanks

Concatenation will only work *well* under 2 conditions:

(1) The source MPEGs do not have end codes in the video stream nor the
system stream. Currently, lavc does not output end codes in mpeg1video,
but I dont know which muxer mencoder uses for the system stream so I
dont know what it does. Besides you didnt tell how your MPEGs were
generated.

(2) The timestamps form a coherent sequence. Here again, that depends on
how the MPEGs have been generated. We have here our own encoder
application, which uses lavc for audio, video and lavf for muxing; and
we use 'real' timestamps from the system clock. Thus we can concatenate
MPEGs.

For a general solution, use mpgtx.

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles