[MPlayer-users] novideo command line option? Capturing audio stream?

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 15:29:11 CET 2004

Funny,  man mplayer does not describe this command line option -novideo

The man page is dated 2003/01/11

Should this be used if using

mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile -- '<streaming-mp3-url>'

as in Dean Gaudet's streamrip.pl script?

http://www.arctic.org/~dean/scripts/streamrip

I have some skipping in the captured stream, I was assuming that this
was due to slow network connection problems. Would increasing the cache
help with this?

Also, -dumpstream seems to be necessary to capture OGG vorbis streams,
whereas this option seems to mangle mp3 streams. Is this a bug? Or just
that I don't really understand what -dumpaudio is supposed to do if
there is no video to start with?

Or is there an even better utility to do this ..  (capture an internet
radio segment so I can listen to it later, in a cron job so I can get it
each week!)

Lame or MPG123 crashes when trying to process the resulting (mp3) output
files.  The file utility identifies them as a variety of different
formats! (mp2-48000 for example)