[MPlayer-users] DVD encoding

Van Leer vanleer at freemail.it
Mon Mar 8 11:19:40 CET 2004

Hi everybody,
I've been looking around for some informations about DVD encoding but I
couldn't get enough. Is there a way, using mencoder, to reencode the
main title of a DVD only a bit. Just enough to store into a 4.7Gb DVD-R.
The problem is that I have to backup a DVD onto a DVD-R but the main
title itself is more than 4.7 Gb.
I would like to retain both italian and english 5.1 sound with subtitle too.
I've found that with dvd shrink I could remove other languages and
reencode as well, the only drawback is that (AFAIK) the reencoding is
only at fixed bitrate. Is it possible to prepare the movie track to be
feed into dvdauthor with mencoder and a 2pass encoding?

Please let me know. I have those 7 Gb film on my HD and I would like to
burn them soon.

Thank you all,
VanLeer.