[MPlayer-users] Re: Telecine output - needed for NTSC DVD encoding

Bruno nc41530a at vizzavi.pt
Tue Mar 9 01:24:40 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 00:46:17 +0100, Tobias Diedrich <ranma at gmx.at> wrote:

> Bruno wrote:
>
>> Mencoded (Soft Telecine test through DVD2AVI):
>
> mencoder is currently unable to produce soft telecine mpeg flags.
>
> This is why I said you have to use -vf softpulldown, which acts on the
> soft telecine flags in the source stream and generates interlaced
> telecined video according to that, which you can then convert to
> interlaced mpeg2 (ildct).
>
> So you should get a hard telecined interlaced mpeg at the end.

No, no, no. It becomes 23.976fps progressive with or without softpulldown,
the only thing this filter makes is delete the first field of the first
frame and then the field order gets reversed and the whole thing looks
interlaced. I can prove it anytime, and already did on that post.

If you look closely you'll see that every frame is interlaced, and not
only 2 frames in every 5 like a normal telecine pattern. An example of a
telecined pattern:

ABBCD
ABCDD
ppiip

equivalent to DVD2AVI flags 2301, i=interlaced, p=progressive.

This is what Mencoder is doing:

1)Telecined source
ABBCDEFFGH
ABCDDEFGHH

2)IVTC is done using softpulldown or not
ABCDEFGH
ABCDEFGH

3)Softpulldown cuts the first field of the first frame and it becomes 24
fps interlaced
ABCDEFG
BCDEFGH

So output for Mencoder using softpulldown is like step 3) and should be
like step 1).

Bruno