[MPlayer-users] pp=hb/vb/dr doesn't work while encoding?

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Sun Mar 14 23:27:09 CET 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:20:18AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > I also have used deblocker after cropping by multiples of 16 and
> > been subjectively satisfied with the results.
> Deblock and dering filters will NEVER work after cropping when the
> offset is not a multiple of 16, and even supporting that case would
> require changes to the crop filter which are not likely to be added.
> So ALWAYS apply pp first.

The result was less blocky than without the filter, so I believed it
had worked. I used it for transcoding a certain TV-series from
VideoCD-format to mpeg4 and now that you have told me this, I have to
re-encode 68 episodes :-(

I suggest this to be added to the manpage. I believe the same goes
for softpulldown too. Filmdint is the only filter that the manpage
instructs to apply as first filter.

> > PAL DVDs frequently have the frames-out-of-phase-problem I described in
> You should also try filmdint with the right options, or pullup. Either
> of these filters should repair it properly.

I have tried both with unsatisfactory results. The pullup didn't do what
I wanted and filmdint caused audio desync.

> > I'm still searching for a way to fix it. Median deinterlacing should
> > theoretically work, but the field that pp=md wants to keep is just
> > the wrong field for the material I'm trying to fix and my attempts to
> > invert the field order have resulted either colorspace incompatibility
> > problems or crashed mplayers :-(
>
> Try vf_flip to invert the field parity.

My reference to crashed mplayers referred to just that. pp=md works fine,
-vf flip alone also works fine, but -vf flip,pp=md,flip produces a core
dump. Colorspace incompatibility was a result of trying to
-vf ilpack,crop=720:574:0:1,pp=md.

In the light of what you said about pp, that shouldn't be possible anyways.
However pp=md definitely has worked for me even when it has not been the
first filter.

--
 Ville