[MPlayer-users] mencoder video card recommendation

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 19 01:00:42 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:20:08PM +0000, Martin Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:54:29 -0800
> "Andrew J. Yeckel" <ay2b at queue.org> wrote:
>
> > For an upcoming event, I will be provided with a video feed (either
> > composite/RCA video or S-Video, I don't know which yet), and a mono
> > audio feed.  I would like to record the event and be able to later
>
> Folk on the mjpeg-tools list swear by the Canopus ADVC-100. That will
> give you DV which is editable and takes 12GB an hour.

Well raw uncompressed capture is much better unless you have a slow
cpu. If you want to encode to something of reasonable size in
realtime, having DV to start with is a liability since you have to
spend cpu time decoding too before you can encode it.

Also, NTSC DV is absolutely horrible unacceptable quality (4:1:1
sampling). So do NOT use a DV-based capture card if you'll be
capturing any NTSC content.

Rich