[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer crashing, streaming from "ASX" xml files

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Mar 23 19:06:42 CET 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:54:32PM +0000, adland wrote:

> > I removed it for 2 reasons:
> >

> Can it be added back as a configure - compile time option
>
> --enable-oldstyle-playlist-functionality or something

Nonsense, a runtime option would do just fine. Just make such an
option and put it in your config file.

> I would find it a useful feature in my daily use.
>
> > 1. If you tried to plan a file MPlayer didn't recognize, it would run
> >    the playlist parser and then either hang forever (99% of the time)
> >    or crash. This SUCKS if you type "mplayer *" to play all files in a
> >    directory and there happens to be one file MPlayer doesn't handle.
>
> I only play single files myself.
> (On subject of hanging it hangs if waiting on enough bytes from
> remote server in ds_fill_buffer or some like named function.
> no timer here)

I'm talking about local files, no network/streaming involved.

> > 2. IMO passing untrusted data to the playlist parser is a security
> >    hole since the playlist parser is full of buggy string code that
> >    hangs and crashes and probably smashes the stack. Hopefully the
> >    MPlayer demuxers aren't quite that bad.
> >

> should we not just add fixes to code
> -playlist seems to allow this code to be used anyway.

Yes, but normally is you use -playlist you're giving mplayer a text
file you wrote yourself or at least read, not a random file you
downloaded off kazaa or some crap.

Rich