[MPlayer-users] Telecined video questions

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 26 00:52:27 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:13:56PM +0200, Ville Saari wrote:
> When I faced this problem, I was desperate enough to write my own filter
> to handle it. The code is quite hackish and its sloooow, but it works -
> most of the time. My algorithm is this:
>
>   I consider three different field pairings for each frame:
>
>   - top and bottom fields of the current frame
>   - top field of the previous frame and the bottom from the current
>   - top from the current and the bottom from the previous

You should only try one of the last two, not both, depending on the
field order of the source frames (tff or bff). The opposite will never
be right; if it were the picture would be totally wrong on a real TV.

> I haven't published the source for the filter because I was somewhat shy of
> the hackish quality of the code, but I might if someone expresses interest.

It's up to you, but someone might find it useful. People won't (or
shouldn't) flame you for bad code in your own filters as long as they
don't mess up the rest of the program.

Rich