[MPlayer-users] new realaudio codec? "got message from server"

michael higgins michael.higgins at snet.net
Mon Mar 29 19:06:08 CEST 2004

Roberto Togni wrote:

> On 2004.03.28 23:24, Michael Higgins wrote:
>
>> I was trying to access this stream and got this error.
[snip]
>> You need to obtain a new player to play this clip. Please point your
>> web browser to http://www.real.com and download the latest RealOne
>> Player from RealNetworks. Once you have installed it you should try
>> this clip again.
>
> The server thinks your player (MPlayer) is too old. It's not a codec
> problem. Codec is DNET, and it's not new.

Hmm. That info contradicts another reply. I'd _like_ this to be truth,
though, and thus something I can work around.

Basically, I'm writing a simple wrapper to launch the radio program(me)s
by name, rather than by url.

>> Is there something I can update/install to fix this? Everything else
>> I've tried to access had no problem. '-)
>
> I don't know how to fix it, but if the stream is also available as rtsp
> (that's true for your link), yust replace pnm://... with rtsp://...

Well, I tried this, and it did not work for me. I'm not so familiar with
all the various offerings I'm accessing, but, where exactly did you find
the same stream? I didn't see it. If this were true it'd be a workaround
for me as I could just replace the string if it occurs.

> BTW, your link fails also with xine (MPlayer pnm and rtsp stream code
> was ported from xine).

Oh. Good to know, I guess. I didn't think to try that & now I know not
to. '-)

Thanks a bunch for your feedback.

-- mike higgins