[MPlayer-users] Bug? dumpmpsub produces unreadable files

Anthony Winters phobos2 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:54:37 CEST 2004

I've recently been attempting to put together a decent subtitle file for
'Castle in the Sky' - the UK DVD edition has a comically bad dubtitle. I
downloaded a collection of sub files from scriptclub.org, and found that
they were all timed for three-part LD versions of the film.

Working first with the Karinkuru .js files, I successfully created and
concatenated three .mpsub files. I then converted the resulting Laputa.mpsub
file to an SRT subtitle.

Unfortunately, it only converted the first twelve or so subtitles.
Inspecting the .mpsub, I found that this sort of thing had been happening
(just an e.g, not an actual example):

01.44 3
Hey, you!

00.20 3
Hey, you!
What?

00.20 3

What?

As far as I can tell, the mpsub reader breaks on the blank line in that last
subtitle, both when converting to other subtitle formats and when actually
playing the film. I tried doing the same with the other scripts available,
and the same thing happens.

I do notice that the line left blank is not in fact empty - there's a space
character there, whereas the blank lines that separate subtitles are
genuinely blank. It looks like mplayer was trying to workaround this by
inserting that space, but it hasn't worked.

I'm running MPlayer 1.0pre3 - I decided to try the latest version before I
did anything else, so as to avoid raising an issue that's already been
fixed. Any suggestions?