[MPlayer-users] Re: High buffer crashes DVD playback

Alain Barthélemy cassandre at bartydeux.be
Wed Mar 31 12:23:03 CEST 2004

Le Wednesday 31 March 2004, 00:47:48 ou environ Tobias Diedrich <ranma at gmx.at> a écrit:
> Kara White wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this particular issue has been fielded elsewhere, but if I
> > set a high buffer for mplayer to play a DVD, all is well until the DVD
> > switches layers.  Then, my entire system crashes, and I get all of these
> > "hdc: lost interrupt" kernel messages.  I've tried it time after time, and
> > it crashes in the same exact spot: when the DVD goes to the second layer.
> > I'm assuming it has something to do with trying to grab too far on the disc
> > without properly changing layers in order to fill up the buffer (maybe
> > something never tested?).  Anyway, any fixes / patches / help / info anyone
> > could send me would be appreciated.
>
> Looks like a hardware problem to me.
> Maybe your drive doesn't like two-layer disks or is faulty?

I have a equivalent problem. On an externel USB2 hard-disk I created 4
partitions (Linux): sda1,sda2,sda3,sda4.

On /etc/sda1->3 I have no problem to write mencoder-encoded files but on
/dev/sda4 it always crashes after a fixed time. The hard-disk may be corrupted
on a particular position or it is a question of position on the external
hard-disk.

I thought, of course, that it was a problem with a particular DVD because the
same DVD crashes at a fixed time when I tried to just read it with mplayer but,
when encoding, the problem always happened with the same partition. Thus I did
not find a clear reason.

--
Alain Barthélemy
cassandre at bartydeux.be