[MPlayer-users] -ao alsa1x feature or bug?

Adar Dembo adar at stanford.edu
Tue May 4 13:11:27 CEST 2004

Alex,

    My problem is not regarding whether or not dmix works. It does work.
Let me illustrate my point by showing you my /etc/asound.conf file:

###############

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
        #periods 128
        rate 44100
    }
}

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

#############

    As you can see, I redefine the "default" device so that it uses the
dmixer slave pcm, which is of type dmix, to mix the output. This works
fine with mplayer, as long as I specify "-ao alsa1x:default". However,
from my experience, most applications that output to ALSA will output to
the device named "default". Mplayer does not do this. If it did, it
would be enough to say "-ao alsa1x" and my output would go through dmix.
This is not the case; I cannot play other sounds on my computer if I use
"-ao alsa1x".

    So, mplayer's ALSA support DOES work. But I don't think it's working
properly. If it was, choosing "alsa1x" as the audio driver should be
enough to get it to use dmix, in my case. One should not have to specify
"default" as the device name when it is clear that it is the default
device!

-Adar