[MPlayer-users] using ffmpeg decoder for DV audio

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sat May 8 16:33:33 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to play a DV stream.

The version of libavcodec that is included in MPLayer 1.0try4 supports
both DV video and DV *audio*. I know this for sure. Its dv.c is very
similar to the version in ffmpeg cvs, and that one supports DV audio
great! Besides, the table at
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/codecs-status.html mentions "FFmpeg DV
audio decoder" as "dvaudio" and says it's working!

However, MPLayer (1.0try4, of course) refuses to decode DV audio using
ffmpeg. By default it uses ffmpeg for DV video but libdv for DV audio. I
tried "-ac ffmpeg", "-ac ffdv" and (per the table on mplayerhq.hu) "-ac
dvaudio"; but it said the following:

Forced audio codec: ffdv
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
Cannot find codec 'dvaudio' in libavcodec...
ADecoder init failed :(
ADecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x56444152.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

I do not want to stick to libdv, as it has some problems with my DV
audio.

What should I do to get FFmpeg DV audio working with mplayer?

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik