[MPlayer-users] Mencoder 1.0pre4 and DVD rip

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon May 10 04:34:28 CEST 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004 19:09:10 -0400
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> All tests I've seen shown 2 B frames to hurt quality. 1 B frame
> sometimes helps, but any more just hurt.
>
> Rich

I would venture a guess that none of those tests were done on TV
programs.  The normal fade in/out that is commonly done on TV looks
absolutely terrible without B-frames, and 1 b-frame just isn't enough.
Jusdging from visual quality, 2 is much better, and 3 is a small
improvement over 2.

Although, I still don't use B-frames myself, knowing that they aren't
very well supported, esp. in hardware players.