[MPlayer-users] New MEncoder FrontEnd for Linux and Windows

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux at peaktime.be
Mon May 10 14:23:00 CEST 2004

V Mesquita wrote:

>> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>>

>>> The downside being that it's also illegal to release unless you want
>>> to release source too, since glibc is lgpl. (Actually there are a few
>>> other ways to make it legal but they're a pain...)
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>
>> IIRC glibc and the Linux kernel are exceptions, and you *may* release
>> closed-source binaries linked statically or dynamically to glibc.
>> Otherwise *all* commercial software for Linux would be in violation of
>> (L)GPL.
>>
> Thanks for clarifying, I'll try to build with glibc statically linked to
> see how big it gets.
>
> []'s
> VMesquita

(1) I dont think static or dynamic makes any difference as far as
licensing is concerned.

(2) linking glibc statically may help you achieve compatibility with
more distros but does not guarantee it, because there are the problems
of *kernel* compatibility, which normally are encapsulated by glibc itself.

(3) The usual: IANAL.

HaND,
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles