[MPlayer-users] Recoding to VCD Using MEncoder Only

Gordan Bobic mplayer at bobich.net
Mon May 10 17:09:28 CEST 2004

Is there any reason why this cannot be done? I presume that it cannot be
done, since I have found the mencvcd script in the TOOLS directory
which seems to use an exceedingly long winded way of recoding files
into VCD format, using mjpegtools.

I think I have managed to get the mencoder setup almost right to achieve
the same thing without the clutter of all the other seemingly inferior
tools and overheads of doing the same job several times, but I am stuck
in one last tiny detail.

Here is the script I use:

#!/bin/bash
mencoder	-oac lavc	\
		-ovc lavc	\
		-ofps 25	\
		-of mpeg	\
		-lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video:acodec=mp2:vbitrate=1150:abitrate=224:vrc_buf_size=327:vrc_maxrate=1150
\
		-vf scale=352:288,dsize=4/3	\
		-af resample=44100:0:2	\
		$1 -o $2

This seems to work really well, except for one small problem - the
"-af resample=44100:0:2" part doesn't seem to do what the documentation
says it should (or maybe I am reading it wrong).

I have videos encoded with varying frequencies other than 44100 (e.g.
22050, 48000), and I have to make this into 44100 to make it VCD
compliant. However, the files encoded using the above script still have
the same audio frequency (confirmed using "mplayer -identify") as the
source file. The video seems to be in the correct format, but the audio
is not.

What I am I doing wrong? I would really like to avoid using the
mjpegtools script if at all possible because it takes much longer.

TIA.

Gordan