[MPlayer-users] To B or not to B

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Mon May 10 23:26:02 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:03:06AM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > Although, I still don't use B-frames myself, knowing that they aren't
> > very well supported, esp. in hardware players.
>
> They also have other major drawbacks like bad decoding performance.

If the machine is able to play DVD's then mpeg4 should be no problem
whatsoever, B-frames or not. It's so much lighter to decode (or
mplayer's decoder is so much better optimized).

Encoding has some delay, but that's an issue only if you do live streaming.

The only annoyance for me is that I can't use pp=hb/vb on B-framed video,
because it filters B-frames too hard causing flicker.

--
 Ville