[MPlayer-users] DVD menus

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue May 11 07:25:44 CEST 2004

Tate Austin wrote:

> Are there currently any plans to implement DVD menus in mplayer?  I love
> the DVD playback, but the DVDs I tried had multiple episodes of a TV
> show on them.  I couldn't seem to make mplayer understand that I wanted
> to go to the next episode.  I don't understand what it terms as
> "titles".  I assumed that it would be one "title" per episode, then
> within  that title you would have "chapters" but I don't understand what
> the logic is.

That corresponds to the TV show DVDs I've come across. Actually, I never
pay attention to chapters, but as for titles it's usually one title per
episode.

$ mplayer dvd://1
$ mplayer dvd://2
$ mplayer dvd://3
...etc..

-or-

$ mplayer dvd://1 dvd://2 dvd://3 <..etc...>

DVD menus have been a recurring point of mild contention within the
project. Some people say menus are useful and/or fun, others contend
that they are annoying. Personally, I wish there were menu support for
the occasional movie for which I want to watch the special features; the
rest of the time, I don't miss the menus one bit.

Once in a while I encounter a really strangely mastered DVD that has 60
titles and the main feature on title 25 or something like that.

$ mplayer $(for title in $(seq 1 60) ; do echo dvd://$title ; done)

Does any of that solve your problems?

-Corey