[MPlayer-users] Re: re: DVD menus

Tate Austin tate_austin at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 19:31:40 CEST 2004

>> It seems to me without menus I simply don't have access to certain content.
>>  Menus are part of DVDs, so why the contention?  At the very least make it
>> a flag we can disabe if we feel comfortable without them.  But I have
>> several DVDs that mplayer simply will not play because the creators assumed
>> people would be using their navigation.  Seems to me we don't even need the
>> mouse interactivity, arrow keys and enter would work.  Heck, couldn't we
>> spice Ogle's menu system into mplayers?  (or would the licenses make that
>> unethical)?

>This is nonsense, mplayer dvd://1 mplayer dvd://2 etc goes through the titles

That approach does not work.  The Title navigation on many DVDs (Buffy the Vampire Slayer for example) is simply not layed out like that.  Title 2 picks up in the middle of the first episode on hte disc for instance.  It's a shame all discs aren't layed out well, but they aren't.  I think mplayer is an amazing piece of software, it's playback is really nice and I think if it had DVD menus it could really be the king of all media players.