[MPlayer-users] Re: Weird RealMedia stream

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 14:06:12 CEST 2004

> http://www.cbsnews.com/media/2004/05/12/video617137.rm&sec=3475&vidID=3475

You can download the file using
wget http://www.cbsnews.com/media/2004/05/12/video617137.rm
(quite large 20 Megs)

streams were of type audio - [racook]  video - [rv40]

can select either a linux or windows rv40 codec
using option -vc rv40 or -vc rv40win
however both did not work for me with this stream.

info

where to dl mplayer codecs
linux - realplayer 8
http://forms.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html
also get and install rv9 codecs updates on page

win32
http://ftp3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
make sure you have realplayer 8 and 9 win32 codecs downloaded/installed

a hex edit of this downloaded media file showed some interesting things
I think it is of a type called Multi-rate sure stream (multiple speeds in same
 file).

mime types of video/x-pn-multirate-realvideo and audio/x-pn-multirate-realaudio
several RuleBook sections containing rules for setting playback parameters based
 on client bandwidth

general clip encoder info
date 5/12/2004
Helix producer plus from Real Networks 9.0.1.250 Windows

by the way I did get this to playback using the realplayer
from helix community daily builds after accepting 2 license agreements.
./realplay http://www.cbsnews.com/media/2004/05/12/video617137.rm
could not play the downloaded file directly - used latest build which was buggy
and crashed every so often
https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/downloads/
)

good luck