[MPlayer-users] recompiling mplayer to incorporate ascii

Tate Austin tate_austin at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 22:38:32 CEST 2004

>>  I'm trying to enable the aalib and cacalib features in mplayer(the
>>  libraries that let you render graphics in ascii)

>Hm... only aalib is supported in current RPM packages. But if you tell
>me where to download cacalib RPMs, I'll add support for them.

>> I installed the src.rpm for mplayer-1.0pre4-1(the version I have)
>>
>> Then when I attempt to do an rpmbuild --rebuild -with aalib
                                                  ^^
>I assume you used a double hyphen there.

>> mplayer-1.0pre4-1*.src.*rpm it issues an error:
>> error: syntax error in expression
>> error: /usr/src/packages/SPECS/mplayer.spec:122: parseExpressionBoolean
>> returns -1
>> error: Package has no %description: mplayer

>I'll fix it.

I have not been doing rpm --build --rebuild...   I will attempt this when I get home.  As for libcaca there is a delightful project for it;
http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/

All the screencaps are from the VideoLan player which I have just installed to tinker with as well.  I'm using Suse 9, and several resources I have consulted tell me that rpmbuild is an effective tool, but I shall definetely attempt the --build version