[MPlayer-users] Giving up on encoding

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri May 14 05:51:27 CEST 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:48:00 -0300
Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick at reloco.com.ar> wrote:

> It's just too complex. I don't want to learn a whole science just to
> copy this DVD.

I've attached the encode.sh script I use 99% of the time.

It's not quite release-ready (some things like the audio bitrate has to
be changed in two places, not just the config at the top).  It's only
for MPEG4 video and lame/vorbis audio (too much work to change all the
lavcopts around to match the capabilities of each different codec).

However, it has some pretty advanced features for a shell script, like
reading a set of defaults from a config file (encode.conf) either in
/etc or the current directory.

> I really don't get why can't mplayer just include some
> presets for diffenrent kind of content (cartoons, computer generated
> movie, etc.)

What's the point of that?  They will all encode just fine under the same
set of options.  I really can't think of any options that should be
changed between them.  Figure out the basics, and you're set.

> and some smart options like
> -do-whatever-it-takes-to-create-a-movie-which-takes 700Mb .

Mencoder has 3-pass mode, and there are hundreds of bitrate calculators
available that will give you the bitrates you need to pass to mencoder
to make that happen. My encode.sh script does this when you supply it
with the video length(minutes/seconds).  It will use mplayer to guess
the length, but it's always very very wrong