[MPlayer-users] mplayer not drawing to the 'true' root window?

Harold Martin cocoadev at earthlink.net
Mon May 17 01:53:47 CEST 2004

Hello,
I've been working on getting mplayer running under xscreensaver as a
screensaver module. I'm able to run mplayer but with sound only, no
video appears. I've set the -rootwin option and expirimented with
various -fstypes, but I cannot get any video drawn.
xscreensaver's author (jwz) wrote me this:
"Make sure mplayer is *really* drawing on the xscreensaver window, and
isn't actually opening its own window (which will end up hidden behind
the xscreensaver virtual-root window.)"
"For it to work as a screen saver, the -root(win) option must draw on
the virtual root window it gets from vroot.h.  You can't fake that out
with -wid because the ID may be different every time it runs."
Any thoughts on this? Does mplayer draw on the root window the way
xscreensaver excpects it to?
Thanks,
Harold