[MPlayer-users] Giving up on encoding

amber newsgrabber at poczta.onet.pl
Mon May 17 09:32:56 CEST 2004

> > I really don't get why can't mplayer just include some
> > presets for diffenrent kind of content (cartoons, computer generated
> > movie, etc.) and some smart options like
> > -do-whatever-it-takes-to-create-a-movie-which-takes 700Mb .

you can find all of these presets in google. when i was a newbie to mencoder trying to
grab TV, i knew nothing. what i did i searched the newsgroups for command lines. when
i got SOMETHING it was easy to modify it to match my needs.
and, you know, it appeared after a month of grabbing that the command line is simple
once you know its 4 parts (mainly: input, video codec params, audio codec params,
postprocessing). some of them you never change so they don't disturb you.

there are x-window frontends to mencoder but i use them only for tv grabbing. if you
want to make a copy of DVD, there's a tool called "dvd::rip". it uses transcode, not
mencoder, but you can use it if you like. to be honest, i use it... ;)