[MPlayer-users] No audio in video capture

Alain Barthélemy cassandre at bartydeux.be
Mon May 17 14:36:54 CEST 2004

Le Monday 17 May 2004, 12:43:45 ou environ Fabio Stumbo <f.stumbo at unife.it> a écrit:
> > make sure what input you actually hear when you're watching TV. you may have a short
> > jack-to-jack cable for the sound output from the tv-card connected to the one of the
> > input sockets in the audio card.
> >
> > just watch what sound adjust bar you use while adjusting the tv volume? most probably
> > it is "line in". i happen to use CD-in because i need "line in" for my stereo while
> > audio CDs are never played on my PC (without being converted to mp3 first ;)
> >
> > to set audio i use aumix with a profile loaded from a file, but you can do it
> > manually:
> >
> > run aumix. the first column shows a few buttons used for selecting the recording line.
> > the selected one is marked with a red square. click the "line in" to choose it (or
> > whatever your cable from tv card is connected to.)
>
> Yes, this was the problem. Now it works.
>
> One more question, if I may
>
> > you might also need to adjust the "gain level" slide bar for the volume.
>
> When capturing, the audio is really bad in quality: it has an ugly echo. I
> used this command
>
> mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=224 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vhq=3:vbitrate=1200 -tv driver=v4l2:width=382:height=288
> -o test.avi tv://
>
> with Line input volume set to 1.
>
> I tried many settings, both for the audio bitrate and the line volume. The
> bitrate doesn't seem to play a major role, while the volume does: the
> bigger the worse. But I can't set it lower than 1....
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Fabio

I had a similar sound problem at the beginning of my trials with mencoder . In
fact, I forgot to set the "Line" record button to "on" with KMix (same trick
with Aumix). There was still sound for recording (some parasite stream I
suppose) but not enough thus a lot of parasite sound. Personaly I have now the
record button of the "Line" slide at "On" and the "iGain" slide at about 50%
and sound is good.

Question: why an audio bitrate of 224?

--
Alain Barthélemy