[MPlayer-users] no sound with QuickTime

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Tue May 18 17:06:10 CEST 2004

On May 11 2004, I posted the following (together with a screen dump):

> I just installed mplayer from RPMs (1.0pre4-2).  I tried to play a QuickTime
> video.  The video was fine, but there was no sound.  A popup window
> complained, "Cannot find codec for audio format 0x0."  Is this an unsupported
> codec?

I was asked to upload the file.  However, I cannot do this for copyright
reasons.

Instead, I made a 9-second clip with Adobe Premiere, intending to upload
that.  However, I find that gmplayer plays the clip successfully, including
audio.  The entire video is about 7 minutes and 312MB.  The clip is 9 seconds
and 66MB.  Given the clip is about 2% by time but 21% by file size, I'm
wondering if the original isn't compressed in some way that gmplayer doesn't
handle.  It's also quite possible that Premiere changed the format to one
that gmplayer recognizes.

Any ideas on how I can upload a clip for debugging that will reproduce the
problem?

Thanks.