[MPlayer-users] -autoq overrides spp=..

Wed May 19 00:29:40 CEST 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 03:13:39PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
DRFI>> For some reason, when using autoq, spp filter ignores quality argument.
DRFI>> As long as autoq=10 defined in config file, it doesn't matter whether to
DRFI>> use spp=1 or spp=6, it will be overriden by autoq (which tends to turn
DRFI>> postprocessing off for some frames sometimes).
DRFI>>
DRFI>> Is autoq supposed to behave like this? It doesn't make sense to me...
DRFI>
DRFI>Yes, the idea of autoq is to change the postproc level according to
DRFI>available cpu time. You should probably turn it off with spp since spp
DRFI>uses a LOT of cpu time for the high levels.

But, using spp without autoq is very hard too! For instance, even on
Athlon 3200+ it's impossible to use spp=4 for 640x480x24fps divx -
mplayer reports 130% cpu usage (on the other hand, levels higher than 3
don't increase postprocessing quality significantly). On 2400+, it's
already impossible to use spp=3 for high resolution. On slower
processors, situation is even worse... But on 320x240, higher levels can
be used - but specifying it by hand for each video resolution is ugly.

I use spp filter for watching low quality anime fansubs, since it only
ruins picture from dvds (or from my own near-dvd quality rips). And
since they come in different resolution, autoq is the only way to set
spp quality to "as high as possible" without guessing each time.

The man page says about autoq, "You have to use -vf [s]pp without
parameters in order to use this." So the fact it overrides parameter
when it is specified is a bug, I think.

--

Vladimir