[MPlayer-users] alsa output strangeness with latest CVS

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Thu May 20 13:49:56 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 09:46 +0200, Michael Weissenbacher wrote:

> | I also noticed that -ao alsa1x has disappeared in favor of a
> | generic -ao alsa. Surprisingly in OSS emulation (-ao oss without
> | any real OSS modules getting loaded) the sound is OK.  Is anyone
> | else experiencing this problem?
> yes, i'm experiencing the same problems. for me it has also worked to
> disable the dmix-plugin and use hw:0,0. is suspect the audio buffer for
> alsa is a little too small per default.

imho disabling dmix is always a good idea ...

i'd also really like to use dmix with every program (my sound card can
only play 1channels at the same time,so i'd need dmix),

but last time i tried to test myself, i could see the difference between
the same video played with/without dmix :(

with dmix the video (the visual part) is not smooth...using a large
audio buffer size helps, but does not eliminate the problem :(

gabor