[MPlayer-users] rm -> pcm (then to mp3) and timing a stream

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu May 20 19:30:19 CEST 2004

I have a question about capturing rm streams.

First, I want to end up with an mp3 of a stream for listening on a
player later.

   mplayer -ao pcm -aofile out.wav rtsp://<stream>

and then use something like lame to encode.  Or is there a way to do
the encoding to mp3 at the same time?

Next, I want to capture an hour out of an archive rm file.

Now, luckily, it turns out the rstp address  will take a ?start=h:m:s
parameter to seek to a position, so I'm able too start where I like.

Am I correct that recording will happen in real time and I can just kill
mplayer after an hour to get an hour's worth of recording?

What if the address didn't accept a "start" parameter?  Or is that part
of the rstp protocol?  Although mplayer doesn't seem to be able to skip
forward or backward in the stream, Realplayer does have that feature.
Does Realplayer manage that by breaking the connection and re-sending the
start=h:m:s to the server? -- I assume that's how it must work as I
can't imagine how else to seek in a stream.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org