[MPlayer-users] alsa1x, no soundcards found

Nicolas Godzik nicolas.godzik at inria.fr
Fri May 21 10:20:31 CEST 2004

Hi All,

I know, I already asked such a question like this one, one year ago, but I'm still trying to enable ac3 passthrough to watch DVD movies with mplayer,

Here is my problem,

I'm using 2.6.5 kernel and alsa drivers to pilot my sound card Audigy creative labs,

I have read, a lot of times, that, we have to use alsa1x and hwac3 to enable ac3 passthrough, ok

If I compile mplayer without any options, my available audio output drivers are:

-oss
-mpegpes
-null
-pcm
-plugin

but no alsa1x !!!

the sound in mplayer movie with oss emulation is perfect, but ac3 passthrough is impossible, the only way to have alsa1x is to activate --disable-ossaudio in configure options

and now I have

-alsa1x
-mpegpes
-null
-pcm
-plugin

so I'm happy until I try to launch a movie with alsa1x even without trying ac3 passthrough:

alsa-init: no soundcards found: Success
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

???

I really appreciate if you can indicate me which way to follow,  what URL to see ..., to enable me to succeed in this task.

NiKo