[MPlayer-users] mpst://host//path broken; partial fix

Hans Korneder hans at korneder.de
Sat May 29 14:15:55 CEST 2004

Hello world,

Subject: mpst://host//path broken; partial fix

During a few tests with TOOLS/netstream I experienced that somehow
the mpst://host//path - feature did not work at all in my installation
(I'm using MPlayer-1.0pre4), the program saying that the protocol
'mpst' is not known at all.

Not being too familiar with the insides of MPlayer I poked around
and added a line in libmpdemux/open.c function open_stream()
around at line 490:
  if (strncmp("tv://", filename, 5) && strncmp("mf://", filename, 5) &&
    strncmp("vcd://", filename, 6) && strncmp("dvb://", filename, 6) &&
    strncmp("cdda://", filename, 7) && strncmp("cddb://", filename, 7) &&
    strncmp("mpst://", filename, 7) && // <---- this line added
    strstr(filename, "://")) {

from then on I was able to play files from my local host:
  mplayer mpst://localhost//tmp/shovel.mpg
without any problems.

BUT:
as soon as I tried to play clips from another host in my local network,
the video image is completely rotten, sometimes not even being recognizes
as a playable file. When using the '-cache 1000'-parameter mplayer
did not recognize the file at all.
Things improved a bit when I modified within libmpdemux/extention.c
to hardwire "mpg" to MPEG_PS again: the image was rotten, but somehow
recognizable as being what I expected it to be.

My questions:
- has anyone experienced this too?
- has anyone a maybe better fix to the mpst-protocol-missing-problem?
- has anyone got 1.0pre4 working with netstream over a real network?

regards,
Hans