[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun May 30 10:41:08 CEST 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, rcooley wrote:
> Jason Tackaberry <tack at sault.org> wrote:
>
> >    qpel:precmp=3:cmp=3:subcmp=3:vmax_b_frames=1:vlelim=-2:vcelim=7:lu
> >    mi_mask=0.05:vqcomp=0.7:mbcmp=2
>
> With vqcomp, I recomend going with smaller values, not larger ones.
> That gives more bits to motion.  Since not having enough bits for a
> still-scene is rarely ever a problem, I can't see any reason for
> vqcomp>0.5.  Then again, I don't see any benefit from it when encoding
> in 2-pass mode.

(from the manpage)
vrc_eq=<equation>:
1	constant bitrate
tex	constant quality
tex^qComp	(default)

This would imply that vqcomp=0 is constant bitrate, while higher vqcomp
gives more bits to motion.
And in my limited experience, vqcomp around .5-.7 has maximized PSNR
(with different optimal values for different movies.)

--Loren Merritt