[MPlayer-users] undeclared symbol

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Nov 2 06:59:13 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:44:32PM +0000, rince wrote:
> I haven't been following this thread, but in the past, I've had the
> CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT problem with mplayer when manually upgrading the
> kernel without updating /usr/include/linux.
>
> For some reason, most distributions seem to inlude /usr/include/linux as a
> separate tree to the linux source code, when in fact it should be a symlink
> to /usr/src/linux/include/linux
>
> Fix that, and I suspect mplayer'll compile fine.

there's a reason behind this....despite the fact that glibc is made to
be independent of the kernel headers, the glibc developers stupidly
insist that /usr/include/linux contain the headers for the version of
the kernel used to compile glibc. of course this is horribly wrong and
breaks all kinds of things, and it's not at all necessary. of course
this isn't the first time they've been incompetent, and it certainly
won't be the last... when you have a core system component that grows
exponentially with each release, something is fundamentally wrong.. :(

rich